The "skinny" on our family's journey from FAT.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sip, sip, sip

The #1 key to a successful GB is HYDRATION. 64oz of water a day minimum. Really? You make my stomach big enough to hold only 2oz at a time and you expect me to drink 64 friggin ounces of water a day? Sure thing. Sip, sip, sip the gastric bypass patients war cry. I've been home now for 3 days and I still have not been able to swallow more than 48 oz at most. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep sippin away. Helpful tip, the camelbak water bottle is the best choice for gastric bypass patients. The patented design of the straw keeps water in the tube at all times so you don't ever suck any air (which could be disastrous to a 2 oz stomach) when you sip. You can purchase them online, or I got mine at Smith and Edwards. I love it!
So, yeah, I've been home for a few days and so far it hasn't been too bad. The pain is minimal, although I got up too quickly a little bit ago and now I have a really bad pain in my side, hope that goes away soon. I didn't experience any nausea from the anesthesia and I have tolerated everything I've tried to eat very well. Granted, that's only been jello, cottage cheese, yogurt and cream of chicken soup (strained by my awesome hubby) but so far, so good. I am on a full liquid diet until Tuesday but that can include the above mentioned foods and some skim milk if I wanted also. On Tuesday I get to start introducing new foods (much like starting a baby out on solids) to see what I can and cannot tolerate. Still, these foods must be soft, and only two ounces, but I'm excited to get "real" food in my body again. I was told that the cravings would be minimal for quite awhile and it would be an effort just to want to eat. This does not apply to me. I don't know, maybe it is totally psychological, but EVERYTHING sounds good right now. It actually sucks. I think I'd take pain over this cuz at least I can dull that with liquid loratab. It's not that I'm hungry, cuz that's not the case, it's just like that old saying, you always want what you can't have. This is truly going to be a tough journey. Another thing I didn't think of but is becoming quite apparent is how often I lick my fingers after preparing food for my family. Like, for instance, the other day I made a pb&j for Hannah and I went to lick the knife off before putting it in the sink without realizing that I was doing it. Luckily I stopped myself but I really wanted that dang knife! Today I opened a pudding cup for Hunter and realized that I always licked the lid off before throwing it away, and, no matter how hard you try, you always get pudding on your fingers trying to open those suckers and what is the natural response? (unless you're a germ freak) you lick your fingers, and then wash them after the child is happily eating their pudding. No more licks, no more tastes, no more food. I guess, that is the whole reason I became fat in the first place. Today was hard, although it brightened a little with the visit from mom, Ash and my crackerjack (man I love that brown baby). I know some days will be harder then others, and hopefully I will adjust but, in the meantime, I'll just keep sip sip sipping along.

2 comments:

Mica said...

I'm so glad you came out of everything ok. The fact I actually joined Google's blog group to read and comment on your blog shows how much I love you. I don't even Facebook! I've read all of your blogs up 'til now and all I have to say is, WOW. True you had me laughing through most of your posts, until you had me crying. And I never would have guessed you put on that much weight. I remember how awesome you were doing and how great it was that you were able to get pregnant with Hunter. With your personality, I guess I just never noticed the weight.
Now I'm going to put a plug in for a whole food blender for your family. A quality blender like Vitamix or Blendtec will set you back about $400(if you can get one at Costco or Sam's when they demo), but it sounds like it's just what you guys need, especially now. Because the fresh food is pureed, it's easier for your body to digest. Cancer patients whose digestive juices are nearly nonexistant can actually get one of these with a Dr's prescrip for about another $100 off. Most of these patients also use protein powder in their smoothies to really pack in the nutrients since they, like you, can only handle small amounts at a time. Another perk is your kids can get fresh veges in their smoothies and they'll be none the wiser. I love you guys and I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know if there's anything I can do, including blending!

The Sneddons said...

Mica! I'm so glad you did all of that for me! Thanks for the support and love. That blender sounds great, except I am not really supposed to "drink" my calories. They really frown on protien shakes and blended anything after the first month. I'm supposed to chew chew chew in between the sip sip sipping but I bet my kids would love it! You have been such a good friend for such a long time and I am so grateful that I have you in my life! Love you!!!